Technical information on X10
Technical information for the Professional
|X10 transmissions are synchronised to the zero-crossing point of the AC power line.
Power line interfaces provide 50Hz square wave with a max. delay of 100 µsec. from the zero crossing point to the AC power line. The maximum delay between signal enveloppe input and 120 kHz output bursts is 50 µsec.
A binary 1 is represented by a 1 millisecond burst of 120 kHz, at the zero crossing point and a binary 0 by the absence of 120 kHz. These 1 millisecond bursts are transmitted three times to coincide with the zero crossing points of all three phases in a three phase distribution system
Setup of the System
The IntelliHome X10 system consists of Transmitters/Controllers and Modules/Receivers:
These Transmitters send a signal and send a command on the powerline to Receivers. Transmitters commonly used are Computer interfaces, Remote Controls (IR/RF), Telephones,...
Receivers control lights and appliances. X-10 Receivers are available in 3 types: plug-in, built-in and DIN-rail. Each Receiver has a House Code ( a letter A-P) and a Unit Code (number 1-16) that uniquely identifies it among 256 different possible combinations. When a Receiver "hears" its unique code, it responds by turning ON, OFF, dimming or brightening the light, appliances, devices,..
The Advantages of X10 IntelliHome
The X10 System is unique in the world of Home Automation because it uses the existing 220V-240V Powerline to communicate its signals and is simple and inexpensive:
- It is ideal for applications in existing houses
- NO extra wiring is necessary which means low-cost solutions
- For simple applications no intelligent units are necessary which makes the system cheap and efficient
- For bigger applications Powerful Interfaces with easy-to-use software are available
- The X-10 IntelliHome system provides 2-Way communication with possibility of status-control because the X-10 system is widespread (more than 5 million installations worldwide) the systems are manufactured on a large scale which results in low prices.
- Unlimited possibilities: switching, dimming, sunscreen control, integration with alarm systems,...